Monday, March 5, 2012

The Least Boring Workout Ever

This is after my BFL workout and then I ran at 8 until I got to a 5K.
The best part of this workout is that is NOT BORING!  And, it's short just like sprint 8.  I am engaged every moment watching the clock go from minute to minute. 

Like I said in my first post, I usually stick to the Body for Life ideal workout which includes doing an interval workout every other day.  Today I did the actual BFL interval workout which is a little more complicated than sprint 8 and goes like this...

I didn't work out after my intense day of snowboarding, but I still lost weight not having exercised for 6 days because these workouts are so effective in building muscle.  My metabolism is on overdrive.
Everyone has levels.  Level 1 is nothing and level 10 is the fastest you can possibly run (or bike or stair step, whatever).  You have to experiment a little to find out what your level 5 is and where your fastest level is but after doing this a couple times you will increase or decrease as needed. 

The workout is only 20 minutes, but very intense.  You do one minute for every interval and the intervals go like this

Minutes    Your Level   Example(pretty easy for a beginner)
1                     5                 5.0
2                     5                 5.0
3                     6                 5.5
4                     7                 6.0
5                     8                 6.5
6                     9                 7.0
7                     6                 5.5
8                     7                 6.0
9                     8                 6.5
10                   9                 7.0
11                   6                 5.5
12                   7                 6.0
13                   8                 6.5
14                   9                 7.0
15                   6                 5.5
16                   7                 6.0
17                   8                 6.5
18                   9                 7.0
19                   10               7.5
20                   5                 5.0

It is a great workout!  Like the example, you can have level 5.0 on the treadmill be your level "5" and level 7.5 be your level "10" to start out with and eventually you'll get faster and faster as your workout gets easier and easier for you to complete.  You can manipulate the lower levels as well as the higher levels until you're running faster than you ever thought possible.  Right now I'm sprinting at a 10 to an 11 for my top level and my lowest level is 6.  I eventually end up sprinting at 12 and my starting point is at a 7.5.

I also listen to some pretty loud music that I have formulated to be at it's loudest at the peak of each interval.  The best song by far is Christina Aguilera's "Fighter".  It's almost exactly 4 minutes long so it's perfect to start right at minute 16 to carry me through my toughest interval.  This technique also works for labor when you're having a baby au natural with no drugs.  Labor is just like one long interval workout!  I could birth babies for a living.  I just love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment