Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Beauty and the Burn


Today was just about the best snow day I have ever snowboarded.  The powder up at Snowbird was thigh deep and I just bombed down double blacks and rode virgin tracks in the back country for a few hours. 

The only problem was that my killer workout yesterday left my quads feeling like jell-o and I had to stop and rest every once in a while to let my muscles stop spasming, mostly my hip flexor and left quad.  When riding in the powder you should have a really fat powder board, that I do not have, and you have to lean back to keep your nose up.  Snowboarders usually ride in one direction which means one leg gets the entire workout which I call the burn.  Skiers get to transfer their weight so their muscles get equal rest and equal workout, therefore, less burn.

Riding on the new fallen snow creates the most beautiful quiet, shushing sound, not like the usual scraping sound when riding on compact snow.  As I was hiking over to our backcountry paradise I stopped to appreciate the beauty of the tree branches, heavy with snow, the snow falling all around me and the silence that eludes me, being a mother of four.  The song, "For the Beauty of the Earth" popped into my head and I sang it in my head while I finished my hike over to where my sweet husband was waiting for me.  I feel blessed that I have the health, the means, the time, the companionship, the last minute babysitter, and the freedom to experience days like today. The least I can do is appreciate it.  Thank-you Jesus for creating this beautiful place.

1 comment:

  1. You are right my friend, you are crazy for having 10 blogs :) Actually I'm kind of excited about this one, cause we can compare notes! I went to the Dr's office and got on the scale and almost fell off! What?! You're kidding me, I don't weigh that mcuh! yikes! So, I've pumped up the workouts. My knee hates me for it. So, I got a pool pass for the school. I've been going for 2 weeks. It seems like I'm improving :) I'm not liking the chlorine odor though, not at all!I'd like to get back to my basketball playing weight, and really tone up my abs. I'll let you know how that is going.

    ReplyDelete