Saturday, February 25, 2012

5 babies in 6 years

This was my very fat self.  I'm lucky I can hide behind my three lovely daughters!

I'm a mother of 4 and counting and I've had 4 babies, one stillbirth and one miscarriage in less than 6 years and basically, my body is tired of being pregnant! In-between each baby I have stuck to my goals of...

1. Doing a race, usually a sprint triathlon, to get back into shape and
2. Losing weight to attain a borderline acceptable weight of 140lbs.  Not fat, not skinny. Blech.

Before I had my first child, I rigidly followed the Body For Life routine to get into shape, which I absolutely loved.  I, however cannot dedicate all my energy and time to follow it exactly, so now I loosely follow it by...

1. Doing a hard core interval workout every other day for 20 minutes mixed with an occasional long run
2. Eating many small meals and eating the majority of my food before 6pm
3. Limiting my deserts to Sunday and special occasions and severely limiting sugar intake

My very much used and loved treadmill display screen

When I started a month and a half ago I weighed 162 lbs, which is the pathetic starting point from my heaviest pregnancy ever, peaking at 182lbs, even though I had my smallest baby at 7lbs 6oz.  What's up with that? Every other pregnancy I've stayed around 175 so I have no idea what happened this time.  I thought I would stay thinner because I just moved out west where people are really healthy and active (compared to the general population of Pittsburgh) but maybe I was just lonely for my friends and husband who couldn't join me for two months after I moved, pregnant, with my three little kids.

 After following my regimen for 6 weeks,  I weighed myself in this morning at 149.8 lbs and ran a 5K in 24.16 minutes!
Me on the scale this morning.  I almost cried when I saw I was in the 140s! Maybe I'll be able to wear something other than leggings in a couple of weeks. 

My goal with this blog is to document my progress, force me to reach my goals through public embarrassment if I don't, and to possibly inspire anyone wondering if they can get into shape after putting their bodies through so much abuse through pregnancy.  I say that you can!

My goals are to reach a steady weight between 130 to 135 and to do a REAL Olympic length triathlon and a half marathon by the end of the summer. 

This is my journey

No comments:

Post a Comment