Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day 8: Swimming Pools in France


First thing, it was the girls turn to exercise, so we went on a run all together: me, Carla and Lucy.
Lucy and I took the kids to the French community pool, which was an interesting scene.  When I arrived I noticed many notices warning of what was prohibited at the pool.  One thing that was prohibited was American style swim trunks. I couldn’t figure out why, but they let Henry borrow some tiny hot pant swim trunks.  He was totally embarrassed to put them on but luckily they let him wear his swim shirt, which completely covered the tiny suit.  We had to pass through this maze of lockers and restrooms and when we finally figured out how to get to the pool we were also forced to remove our shoes because they weren’t allowed on the pool deck.  We were also forced to walk through little pools of water to clean our feet every time we entered or exited the immediate pool area.  When we immerged the pool was completely filled with almost naked kids. I only saw one girl with a one piece suit on.  All the little girls were wearing tiny bikinis and the boys, of course, were all in the tightest suits and speedos.  They also made me put floaties, on Clemmie, which are not allowed in American pools and since Clementine is so comfortable in the water and loves to go underwater, I was hesitant, but they were pretty insistent so I put them on her.  Lucy saw the most gorgeous tall, dark, and muscly French boy wearing a speedo and stalked him for a while.  She also ran into him on the street while she was doing laundry, so he must live close to us.  Lol.  Having so many young kids and not knowing all the rules, I felt like we were getting hovered over by the pool police.  The most hilarious part of this whole runaround is that at one point we saw a giant squirt of poo coming out of Clementine’s diaper that was smeared all over the pool deck.  We quickly removed her from the pool and changed her diaper on the grass.  I wiped what I could off the edge of the pool and the pool deck, but it obviously got in the pool water.  When it was time to leave, I changed Henry back into his shorts and as soon as they saw him they rushed over and said he had to put his other suit back on.  I told them I was leaving so they were ok with it.  I started to ask them why all the run around with the cleanliness.  No one spoke English, so I began to leave, but they called after me and had someone who actually spoke English tell me what all the fuss was about.  Apparently they put less than half the amount of Chlorine into the water so they’re forced to take measures to limit the dirt and outside grime....and all this to "save the earth from Chlorine".   The problem with this is that unless French babies are different than American ones, poop and pee is going to get into the pool anyway and how can they limit that? At our pool at home they make Clementine and Vivi put on two layers of protection, which still doesn’t keep the poop juice from escaping out of the diaper.  When I finally realize that either one has pooped in their diaper, all the fine poop has mixed with water and escaped through the permeable swim diaper and all that’s left is large chunks of undigested food.  So, basically there’s almost no way to avoid poop and pee getting into the pool.  After hearing all this and realizing that Clementine had pooped in their untreated pool, I was happy to swim in the ultra concentrated chlorine pools of America…and to be leaving. 

After the pool, I took the kids to the park and Justin took Alex and Carla to the bus station where they spent the last couple days of their trip in Marseille….away from our screaming babies and chaos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment